Arsenal beats Everton 1-0 to move up to 3rd in EPL
Liverpool: Thomas Vermaelen scored with an early header Wednesday to give Arsenal a 1-0 win at Everton that moved it up to third place in the Premier League.
Vermaelen headed in from Robin van Persie`s corner to secure a sixth straight league win and move the Gunners above local rival Tottenham.
Everton played well and looked to have equalized in the 31st but Royston Drenthe was ruled offside.
Arsenal is a point clear of north London rivals Spurs with nine games left to play and looks good to secure a Champions League berth. Fifth-placed Chelsea is now six points back.
After the players emerged from the tunnel wearing T-shirts to show their support for former Arsenal midfielder Fabrice Muamba following his cardiac arrest, it was the visitors who set the early tempo.
Having already miscued one decent opportunity in front of goal in the sixth minute, Ramsey won a corner with a blocked shot moments later and from Van Persie`s delivery, Vermaelen found the space to nod the Gunners into the lead.
Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard then got down to keep out an effort from Van Persie before Leon Osman headed the Toffees` first attempt at goal wide.
The home side began to settle a little and the players thought they had equalized when Drenthe slotted in at the end of a passing move. The effort was ruled out for offside in a decision that enraged Everton boss David Moyes. Replays indicated that Drenthe had been onside when the ball had been played to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling