Arsenal cashing in on Samir Nasri hot streak
London: Samir Nasri is fast emerging as Arsenal’s key player as the Gunners enter what Arsene Wenger says is a crucial part of the season.
The Frenchman scored his fifth goal in four games to help Arsenal beat Partizan Belgrade on Wednesday and qualify for the last 16 of the Champions League and with skipper Cesc Fabregas injured he ran the show in midfield.
“He’s in the form of his life,” Fabregas said in his programme notes. “Now he’s getting the goals too and he’s one of the players that is leading the team.
“He’s in one of those periods. When you’re hot, you’re hot and we have to take advantage of his form.”
Despite a crowded treatment room, three Premier League home defeats and some worrying form on the road in Europe, Arsenal find themselves well-placed for a push for silverware this season.
Manager Arsene Wenger believes his side can hit top form before the Champions League resumes in February.
“We have played some great games since the start of the season although we weren’t at our best tonight,” Wenger said after a nervy display against the Serbs.
“But what is extremely important for a group like ours is that we are still in the competitions and when we play now in the last 16 hopefully we have done well in the Premier League and the League Cup and we can have a high level of confidence because that will be needed.”
Arsenal have a 50-50 chance of playing either Barcelona or Real Madrid in the last 16 of the tournament but striker Robin van Persie, who scored his first goal for the club since May on Wednesday, is not worried.
“We have to believe,” Van Persie said. “Everything starts with belief and if you don’t believe you might as well not play football. We believe we can achieve things this season.
“As a football fan I would love to be involved in a game against Real Madrid or Barcelona.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'