Arsenal defender Vermaelen out for three weeks
London: Arsenal’s Belgian defender Thomas Vermaelen will be out of action for up to three weeks after suffering a calf injury against north-London rivals Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday.
The 24-year-old, who has scored seven league goals and missed just one game this season, lasted only 19 minutes of the 2-1 defeat and will sit out Sunday’s trip to Wigan Athletic and the home match against Manchester City.
“Certainly it is a calf strain. [He will be out for] two to three weeks,” manager Arsene Wenger said on the club’s website on Thursday.
Arsenal, third in the standings and six points behind leaders Chelsea, have recently suffered several injuries to key players including captain Cesc Fabregas, defender William Gallas and forward Andrei Arshavin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS