Arsenal officials fly to Madrid to finalise Gonzalo Higuain deal
London: Arsenal officials have flown out to Madrid to finalise the deal to bring Gonzalo Higuain to the Emirates Stadium.
The Gunners delegation will hold top-level talks with their Real Madrid counterparts this weekend as the two clubs negotiate a fee for the Argentina international.
As reported on Thursday, Higuain has already agreed personal terms with Arsenal ahead of a move that is increasingly likely to be completed within the next 10 days.
Preliminary discussions have already taken place between Arsenal and Madrid on a fee for the 25-year-old, and the exact figure is expected to be settled in the Spanish capital over the weekend.
The Gunners are hopeful that an offer around the 23 million euros mark can close the deal, while los Blancos are holding out for around 30m euros.
It is understood that Arsene Wenger could make an appearance during the discussions at some point over the weekend.
Arsenal have agreed a contract with Higuain that will start with a salary of 116,000-euros-a-week, which will bring him in line with the club’s top earners Theo Walcott and skipper Thomas Vermaelen but, contrary to reports, will not shatter the club’s wage bill.
Nevertheless, Higuain will pocket a bumper pay rise if he completes a move to the Gunners as he is believed to be earning a relatively modest 74,500-euros-a-week at Santiago Bernabeu.
Higuain alerted buyers by publicly insisting that he will leave Madrid this summer following six years in the Spanish capital.
Juventus have also made the prolific forward an offer but there are doubts about their willingness to pay a 23m euros plus fee.
Wenger has made a concerted move for Higuain as he bids to break the €23m transfer barrier - comfortably breaking the club’s record - on two new players this summer. As revealed by Goal, Arsenal have also activated the 26m euros release clause in Marouane Fellaini’s Everton contract but have not yet been given the all clear to hold official talks with the player, who is currently on holiday.
Wenger has also shown strong interest in Wayne Rooney and Fiorentina’s Stevan Jovetic, but Higuain has been told he can leave by Madrid and the deal is viewed by Arsenal as easier to secure.
The Argentina star has a prolific scoring record at both club and international level and will be regarded as a statement signing if Arsenal can finalise the transfer.
The north Londoners have also made moves to sign centre-back Ashley Williams from Swansea City and goalkeeper Julio Cesar from QPR.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!