Arsenal`s Jack Wilshere needs surgery, out for months
London: Arsenal`s stuttering start to the season has suffered another blow with midfielder Jack Wilshere requiring surgery on his troublesome ankle injury that will force him to spend months on the sidelines.
Wilshere will have surgery on Monday after the stress fracture he suffered in his right ankle in a pre-season friendly in July failed to heal naturally.
The Premier League club defended their decision not to send the player for surgery sooner.
"Throughout Jack`s injury, the club has been guided by the continuous advice of several world-renowned specialists," a statement on the club`s website said late on Friday.
"The information attained this week has led to the conclusion that surgery is now required to gain an optimal response."
The 13-times English champions said a more detailed timescale for Wilshere`s return would be decided after the surgery on his right ankle.
Arsenal have struggled without the talented central midfielder, slumping to an 8-2 loss to rivals Manchester United to sit 17th in the Premier League ahead of Saturday`s home fixture against Bolton Wanderers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference