Arsenal`s Wenger and Nasri banned for one European game
Nyon: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and midfielder Samir Nasri were banned for one European match by UEFA on Thursday after their outburst at the end of the Champions League defeat in Barcelona.
Both had been charged with improper conduct following their angry protests to referee Massimo Busacca at the end of the last 16 second-leg match at the Nou Camp on March 8.
Wenger, who was also fined 10,000 euros (8,684 pounds), subsequently accused European soccer`s governing body of running a dictatorship.
"The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body today decided to suspend Wenger and Nasri for one European match each, with the punishment applying to the next UEFA club game for which either man will be eligible," UEFA said in a statement following the decision by a disciplinary hearing at its headquarters.
Wenger and Nasri were furious over the sending off of Robin van Persie, who was shown a second yellow card for kicking the ball away after the whistle had sounded for an offside decision.
Barca won the match 3-1 to complete a 4-3 aggregate victory.
Wenger described the decision by the Swiss official as "embarrassing" and was even more annoyed when UEFA decided to open disciplinary proceedings.
"We all understand that you can make wrong decisions but after that it becomes dictatorship, it`s not any more common sense," Wenger said.
"It would be good for UEFA to show some humility, to apologise for what has happened."
UEFA also suspended Tottenham Hotspur assistant manager Joe Jordan for one European match following his confrontation with AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso during and after their Champions League clash at the San Siro on February 15.
Gattuso was handed a four-match ban earlier this month for headbutting Jordan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule
- Is butter healthy? Five reasons to eat Krishna's favourite!
- Air India Mumbai-Newark flight diverted to Kazakhstan
- Laver Cup: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal to play doubles together