Arsenal`s Wenger and Nasri banned for one European game
Nyon: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and midfielder Samir Nasri were banned for one European match by UEFA on Thursday after their outburst at the end of the Champions League defeat in Barcelona.
Both had been charged with improper conduct following their angry protests to referee Massimo Busacca at the end of the last 16 second-leg match at the Nou Camp on March 8.
Wenger, who was also fined 10,000 euros (8,684 pounds), subsequently accused European soccer`s governing body of running a dictatorship.
"The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body today decided to suspend Wenger and Nasri for one European match each, with the punishment applying to the next UEFA club game for which either man will be eligible," UEFA said in a statement following the decision by a disciplinary hearing at its headquarters.
Wenger and Nasri were furious over the sending off of Robin van Persie, who was shown a second yellow card for kicking the ball away after the whistle had sounded for an offside decision.
Barca won the match 3-1 to complete a 4-3 aggregate victory.
Wenger described the decision by the Swiss official as "embarrassing" and was even more annoyed when UEFA decided to open disciplinary proceedings.
"We all understand that you can make wrong decisions but after that it becomes dictatorship, it`s not any more common sense," Wenger said.
"It would be good for UEFA to show some humility, to apologise for what has happened."
UEFA also suspended Tottenham Hotspur assistant manager Joe Jordan for one European match following his confrontation with AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso during and after their Champions League clash at the San Siro on February 15.
Gattuso was handed a four-match ban earlier this month for headbutting Jordan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen