Arsenal seal €9.3m Monreal deal but fail to buy David Villa
London: Arsenal have sealed a €9.3 million (£8m) deal for Malaga left-back Nacho Monreal, but have admitted defeat in their pursuit of David Villa.
Goal.com understands that Monreal passed a medical at the club’s London Colney training base on Thursday night after jetting into the capital and has agreed to sign a €70,000-a-week (£60,000) four-and-a-half year contract.
The formalities of the deal are set to be completed in time to meet the Premier League’s official 23:00GMT deadline.
The Londoners had centred their deadline-day sights firmly on Spain as Arsene Wenger made a late bid to shore up his leaky defence and add greater firepower to his attack.
However, the Gunners failed in their last-ditch pursuits for two other Spain-based players – Barcelona striker David Villa and Athletic Bilbao centre-back Fernando Amorebieta.
As revealed by Goal.com on Thursday, Arsenal tabled a formal bid of between £10million and £11m for Villa but Barcelona held firm despite Spain’s record goalscorer wanting to make the switch to Emirates Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest