Arsenal should not fear Bayern Munich: Hartson
London: The former Gunners forward feels Arsene Wenger`s men can beat anyone on the continent this season, and is confident the north London outfit can overcome the German giants
Arsenal have no reason to fear Bayern Munich after drawing the German giants in the last 16 of the Champions League, according to ex-Gunners star John Hartson.
The north London outfit will face Jupp Heynckes’ men with Bayern currently nine points clear at the top of Bundesliga, having only lost one of their opening 17 games this term.
However, Hartson is convinced that Arsene Wenger’s side can overcome the Bavarians, and feels that the Gunners are capable of beating any side in Europe on their day.
"It`s a tough draw for Arsenal but they have no reason to fear Bayern,” Hartson said
“I think they will just be happy that they avoided Barcelona for what would have been a third meeting in four years.
"Arsenal have a fantastic record in Europe being the only club to have qualified for the last 13 knockout stages. People forget just how consistent they are in European competition.
“It`s not fair on Arsene [Wenger] that everyone seems to want to put them down on the domestic stage when things aren`t always going their way."
Despite being confident for his former side ahead of the tie, Hartson acknowledges that Bayern will be a tough proposition, and feels that the four-times champions of Europe should have added to their haul last season, when they lost in the final of the competition to Chelsea on penalties.
"In my opinion Bayern should have won the trophy last season,” he said. “Chelsea were very fortunate. I think Bayern had 18 corners to Chelsea`s one and, of course, the Germans missed a penalty before the shoot-out.
“They are a traditionally a very experienced European side and, like all German teams, are mentally strong. German football is flying just now with three of them winning their Champions League groups.
"But none of that will worry Arsenal. They are very capable of beating Bayern over two legs and a lot can happen between now and February. Arsenal are inconsistent but on their day they are capable of beating anyone in Europe."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi