Arsenal should not fear Bayern Munich: Hartson
London: The former Gunners forward feels Arsene Wenger`s men can beat anyone on the continent this season, and is confident the north London outfit can overcome the German giants
Arsenal have no reason to fear Bayern Munich after drawing the German giants in the last 16 of the Champions League, according to ex-Gunners star John Hartson.
The north London outfit will face Jupp Heynckes’ men with Bayern currently nine points clear at the top of Bundesliga, having only lost one of their opening 17 games this term.
However, Hartson is convinced that Arsene Wenger’s side can overcome the Bavarians, and feels that the Gunners are capable of beating any side in Europe on their day.
"It`s a tough draw for Arsenal but they have no reason to fear Bayern,” Hartson said
“I think they will just be happy that they avoided Barcelona for what would have been a third meeting in four years.
"Arsenal have a fantastic record in Europe being the only club to have qualified for the last 13 knockout stages. People forget just how consistent they are in European competition.
“It`s not fair on Arsene [Wenger] that everyone seems to want to put them down on the domestic stage when things aren`t always going their way."
Despite being confident for his former side ahead of the tie, Hartson acknowledges that Bayern will be a tough proposition, and feels that the four-times champions of Europe should have added to their haul last season, when they lost in the final of the competition to Chelsea on penalties.
"In my opinion Bayern should have won the trophy last season,” he said. “Chelsea were very fortunate. I think Bayern had 18 corners to Chelsea`s one and, of course, the Germans missed a penalty before the shoot-out.
“They are a traditionally a very experienced European side and, like all German teams, are mentally strong. German football is flying just now with three of them winning their Champions League groups.
"But none of that will worry Arsenal. They are very capable of beating Bayern over two legs and a lot can happen between now and February. Arsenal are inconsistent but on their day they are capable of beating anyone in Europe."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams