Arsenal will not gamble on Nasri for Barcelona game
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will not be "stupid" by rushing back midfielder Samir Nasri for Wednesday`s Champions League last 16 first-leg match against Barcelona, the Frenchman said on Monday.
"I will not take a crazy gamble," Wenger said of his compatriot Nasri, who he admitted is "physically ready" after a two-week layoff with a hamstring injury.
"He has worked very hard in the last week...just there is a risk to have a setback," Wenger added on the club`s website before saying Nasri would have tests on Monday and Tuesday.
"Who isn`t desperate to play? But there is another game in three weeks. We also have Leyton Orient, the Carling Cup Final, we have so many games coming up it is important not to be stupid."
Arsenal play in the FA Cup fifth round against Orient on Sunday and the League Cup final against Birmingham on Feb. 27, when they will seek to win their first trophy since the 2005 FA Cup. They head to Spain for the return leg against Barcelona on March 8.
In last year`s Champions League quarter-final Arsenal clung on for a 2-2 draw in London against the Spanish champions but were torn apart 4-1 at the Nou Camp.
"Here (at the Emirates Stadium) we will try to play to our strengths," Wenger said. "We will try to attack the other team."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Jose Mourinho: Former Chelsea boss is all set to become Mancheser United's new manager
- Sensex zooms 391 points to hit 1-week high
- Inclusion of Pakistani players will raise importance, status of Indian Premier League: Zaheer Abbas
- Bihar journalist Rajdeo Ranjan's murder: Major breakthrough - Five shooters arrested in connection with case
- Primordial black holes and dark matter are linked: NASA