Arsene Wenger slams costly Arsenal mistakes
London: Arsene Wenger bemoaned an error-ridden performance from his Arsenal side after slumping to a 6-3 loss to Manchester City.
The Gunners boss voiced his frustration after the defeat at the Etihad Stadium, conceding that the north London club deserved to lose the game
The Gunner`s title hopes were dealt a hefty blow on Saturday as the Premier League leaders were outclassed by a rampant City in an enthralling game at the Etihad Stadium.
The returning Theo Walcott scored a brace for Arsenal and Per Mertesacker also found the net for the visitors, but goals from Sergio Aguero, Alvaro Negredo, David Silva, Yaya Toure and a Fernandinho double secured the points for City.
Wenger admitted that Arsenal did not deserve anything from a game in which the north London club were comfortably second best.
"It hurts to lose like that, but we made too many mistakes in the middle of the park," Wenger said.
"Overall they deserved the win, we have to go home and recover, we made too many technical mistakes."
The Frenchman - who lost defender Laurent Koscielny due to a cut on his right knee late in the first half - felt that fatigue may have played a part in his side`s display following their exertions in the Champions League in midweek. Arsenal lost 2-0 at Napoli on Wednesday, but still progressed into the knockout stages.
"It`s always difficult to know," he added. "Our schedule was not ideal. Is that the only explanation? I am not sure.
"There is nothing worse in football than being tired and running after the score.
"We want to win. We are very sad because we lost a big game. We know a big season depends on winning big games."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP