Arsene Wenger vexed by Perez`s Ozil jibe
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he does not understand Real Madrid president Florentino Perez`s criticisms of his former player Mesut Ozil.
Ozil left Madrid for Arsenal in a surprise move on transfer deadline day, after falling down the pecking order at the Bernabeu following the close-season arrivals of Isco and Gareth Bale.
Perez subsequently claimed the Germany star had personally asked to leave because "he couldn`t handle the pressure at Madrid", but Wenger says that that was not the case.
"Real Madrid made a choice they had to let one player go. In the end it was Ozil, but I think he chose us for many reasons," said the Frenchman.
"One of them was he had the choice to come here before he went to Real Madrid (in 2010), and I had a contact with him from that moment, so maybe it was fate. It was between Madrid and us (then), and this time it was us."
Wenger added: "I know him (Perez) well and I am surprised by this statement. Honestly, I didn`t read what Florentino said.
"I spoke to Ozil about it and he was surprised as well. He said he is not sure that Perez said that completely."
Ozil, who signed for a reported club-record fee of £42.4 million ($66 million, 50 million euros), is expected to make his home debut for Arsenal against Stoke City in the Premier League on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Will women be allowed to enter Haji Ali shrine? Bombay HC verdict today
- Check out the posters of Sunny Leone’s ‘Beiimaan Love’
- Central team to visit Kashmir to look into infiltration today
- Akshay Kumar looks dapper in the brand new poster of ‘Rustom’
- BJP has reduced foreign policy to ''event management exercise'': JD(U)