Arshavin inflicts more suffering on Liverpool
London: Andrei Arshavin`s spectacular strike earned Arsenal a 2-1 victory over Liverpool in the Premier League and continued the hosts` miserable season.
Arsenal`s first league win at Anfield since 2003 lifted them to third in the standings and inflicted Liverpool`s sixth defeat of a dismal campaign in which they have also failed to qualify for the Champions League knockout stages.
Leaders Chelsea and second-placed Manchester United both dropped points at home on Saturday and Arsenal climbed to third on 31 points, six behind Chelsea and three adrift of United with a game in hand.
Liverpool, who also failed to qualify for the Champions League knockout stages, stayed seventh on 24 points having lost six games out of 16, four more league defeats than they suffered all last season.
The home side made Arsenal look ordinary in the first half and could have scored more than their solitary Dirk Kuyt goal with Fernando Torres missing a glorious chance and Steven Gerrard having a decent penalty claim turned down.
Brazilian fullback Fabio Aurelio`s excellent delivery from a central free kick on 41 minutes caught out goalkeeper Manuel Almunia whose weak palmed clearance fell kindly for Kuyt to poke the ball home from eight yards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- MEA official meets deceased Congolese national's family
- Good news for Rail Passengers! No service charge on ticket booked through card from June 1
- Japan keen to invest in India’s infrastructure growth story: Finance Minister
- People have figured out: Liam Hemsworth on reunion with Miley
- Afghan govt seeks extension for refugees to stay in Pakistan