Arshavin inflicts more suffering on Liverpool
London: Andrei Arshavin`s spectacular strike earned Arsenal a 2-1 victory over Liverpool in the Premier League and continued the hosts` miserable season.
Arsenal`s first league win at Anfield since 2003 lifted them to third in the standings and inflicted Liverpool`s sixth defeat of a dismal campaign in which they have also failed to qualify for the Champions League knockout stages.
Leaders Chelsea and second-placed Manchester United both dropped points at home on Saturday and Arsenal climbed to third on 31 points, six behind Chelsea and three adrift of United with a game in hand.
Liverpool, who also failed to qualify for the Champions League knockout stages, stayed seventh on 24 points having lost six games out of 16, four more league defeats than they suffered all last season.
The home side made Arsenal look ordinary in the first half and could have scored more than their solitary Dirk Kuyt goal with Fernando Torres missing a glorious chance and Steven Gerrard having a decent penalty claim turned down.
Brazilian fullback Fabio Aurelio`s excellent delivery from a central free kick on 41 minutes caught out goalkeeper Manuel Almunia whose weak palmed clearance fell kindly for Kuyt to poke the ball home from eight yards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in