Arshavin out of Arsenal`s Champions League squad
London: Russian forward Andrei Arshavin has been left out of Arsenal`s 18-man squad for Tuesday`s Champions League football opener against Montpellier in France.
Arshavin has been frozen out of the Arsenal first team for almost a year and a proposed transfer move to his old club Zenit St. Petersburg has yet to materialise.
His place in the squad has been taken by French midfielder Abou Diaby, who returns after injury.
"Abou Diaby missed Saturday`s win over Southampton but is fit to face Montpellier," the club`s website said. "He replaces ... Arshavin in the 18-man party."
Arshavin`s career is at an all-time low after being left out of Fabio Capello`s Russia team for the opening World Cup qualifying victories over Northern Ireland and Israel earlier this month.
The 31-year-old playmaker has been linked with a slew of English Premier League clubs as well as Turkish side Galatasaray in recent weeks, but will not be able to move to any European club until the winter transfer window opens in January.
His contract at the Emirates expires in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video