Arshavin out of Arsenal`s Champions League squad
London: Russian forward Andrei Arshavin has been left out of Arsenal`s 18-man squad for Tuesday`s Champions League football opener against Montpellier in France.
Arshavin has been frozen out of the Arsenal first team for almost a year and a proposed transfer move to his old club Zenit St. Petersburg has yet to materialise.
His place in the squad has been taken by French midfielder Abou Diaby, who returns after injury.
"Abou Diaby missed Saturday`s win over Southampton but is fit to face Montpellier," the club`s website said. "He replaces ... Arshavin in the 18-man party."
Arshavin`s career is at an all-time low after being left out of Fabio Capello`s Russia team for the opening World Cup qualifying victories over Northern Ireland and Israel earlier this month.
The 31-year-old playmaker has been linked with a slew of English Premier League clubs as well as Turkish side Galatasaray in recent weeks, but will not be able to move to any European club until the winter transfer window opens in January.
His contract at the Emirates expires in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez