Arteta says blame players not Wenger for Arsenal’s predicaments
London: Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta has said the players should be held responsible for the mess faced by the team, not manager Arsene Wenger. Wenger has been under fire from certain sections of the fans who have questioned his selection policy and also his signings in the two transfer windows.
“It is us who are to blame, not the manager,” The Mirror quoted Arteta, as saying. Arteta revealed that the players had conducted more than one inquest into the last two results – especially the 4-0 Champions League hammering they took in the San Siro against AC Milan ten days ago. “That was a disaster,” said Arteta who knows there is now added pressure to secure a morale-boosting win against bitter rivals Tottenham in Sunday’s massive Premier League clash at The Emirates.
“In Milan we collapsed. It was very frustrating. We talked after the Milan game. We were frustrated and we were gutted. You get upset with yourself after a result like that. We knew we can’t keep doing this or that. Mistakes had to stop,” Arteta said. “As for the manager, I owe him a lot. He gave me the chance to join this club. The way he has been talking to the group of players has always been positive. I have no doubts that he loves Arsenal. He tries really, really hard to make us successful.”
“Sometimes it is our fault that we don’t win – like we don’t out the ball in the net or make a mistake. It is everyone at the club who is involved. Everyone is affected,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi