Ashley Cole sits out as Chelsea take on Schalke
London: Chelsea left-back Ashley Cole was omitted from the squad that travelled to Germany for Tuesday`s Champions League group game with Schalke, the Premier League club announced on Monday.
Cole trained with his team-mates on Monday morning, having missed England`s last two World Cup qualifiers and Chelsea`s 4-1 win over Cardiff City on Saturday with a rib injury.
However, he did not board the plane for the flight to Dusseldorf due to manager Jose Mourinho`s unwillingness to take risks with the 32-year-old`s fitness.
"Jose Mourinho believes tomorrow`s (Tuesday`s) game has come just too soon for the left-back and he has remained in the UK," said a story on the Chelsea website.
German forward Andre Schurrle, who had been struggling with a leg injury, was a member of the 21-man squad.
Schalke lead Group E on six points after two matches, with Chelsea three points back
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan