Ashley Cole sits out as Chelsea take on Schalke
London: Chelsea left-back Ashley Cole was omitted from the squad that travelled to Germany for Tuesday`s Champions League group game with Schalke, the Premier League club announced on Monday.
Cole trained with his team-mates on Monday morning, having missed England`s last two World Cup qualifiers and Chelsea`s 4-1 win over Cardiff City on Saturday with a rib injury.
However, he did not board the plane for the flight to Dusseldorf due to manager Jose Mourinho`s unwillingness to take risks with the 32-year-old`s fitness.
"Jose Mourinho believes tomorrow`s (Tuesday`s) game has come just too soon for the left-back and he has remained in the UK," said a story on the Chelsea website.
German forward Andre Schurrle, who had been struggling with a leg injury, was a member of the 21-man squad.
Schalke lead Group E on six points after two matches, with Chelsea three points back
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing