Ashley Cole sits out as Chelsea take on Schalke
London: Chelsea left-back Ashley Cole was omitted from the squad that travelled to Germany for Tuesday`s Champions League group game with Schalke, the Premier League club announced on Monday.
Cole trained with his team-mates on Monday morning, having missed England`s last two World Cup qualifiers and Chelsea`s 4-1 win over Cardiff City on Saturday with a rib injury.
However, he did not board the plane for the flight to Dusseldorf due to manager Jose Mourinho`s unwillingness to take risks with the 32-year-old`s fitness.
"Jose Mourinho believes tomorrow`s (Tuesday`s) game has come just too soon for the left-back and he has remained in the UK," said a story on the Chelsea website.
German forward Andre Schurrle, who had been struggling with a leg injury, was a member of the 21-man squad.
Schalke lead Group E on six points after two matches, with Chelsea three points back
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony