Asia champions Iraq suspended from international football
Baghdad: Asian champions Iraq have been suspended from international football because of political interference in the country`s FA, FIFA said on Friday.
"The FIFA Emergency Committee has...decided to suspend the Iraqi Football Association (IFA) due to governmental interference," the world governing body said in a statement.
FIFA said it learned earlier this week the Iraqi Olympic Committee had disbanded the IFA and government security forces had seized control of the association`s headquarters.
The ruling means Iraq cannot play any internationals -- friendly or competitive -- and its clubs are also banned from playing foreign opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?