Asia champions Iraq suspended from international football
Baghdad: Asian champions Iraq have been suspended from international football because of political interference in the country`s FA, FIFA said on Friday.
"The FIFA Emergency Committee has...decided to suspend the Iraqi Football Association (IFA) due to governmental interference," the world governing body said in a statement.
FIFA said it learned earlier this week the Iraqi Olympic Committee had disbanded the IFA and government security forces had seized control of the association`s headquarters.
The ruling means Iraq cannot play any internationals -- friendly or competitive -- and its clubs are also banned from playing foreign opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH