Asia champions Iraq suspended from international football
Baghdad: Asian champions Iraq have been suspended from international football because of political interference in the country`s FA, FIFA said on Friday.
"The FIFA Emergency Committee has...decided to suspend the Iraqi Football Association (IFA) due to governmental interference," the world governing body said in a statement.
FIFA said it learned earlier this week the Iraqi Olympic Committee had disbanded the IFA and government security forces had seized control of the association`s headquarters.
The ruling means Iraq cannot play any internationals -- friendly or competitive -- and its clubs are also banned from playing foreign opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees