Athletic Bilbao`s Ander Herrera caught up in hoax `United` offer
London: Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera`s proposed USD 47.5 million (30.5 million pounds) move to Manchester United turned out to be a hoax after three men attempting to broker the deal were labelled imposters, British media reported on Monday.
"Reports in Spain claim three men dressed in black suits and claiming to be United "representatives" spent an hour at the La Liga offices attempting to negotiate a deal. The move collapsed at the 11th hour," the BBC reported on the final day of the transfer window on Monday.
"Confirmation from Manchester United that three men who reportedly attempted to negotiate a deal to sign Ander Herrera were not acting on behalf of the Premier League champions and were... imposters," the BBC report added.
The Basque club last week rejected an offer which Spanish newspapers reported at USD 40 million from United for the 24-year-old Herrera, with the club`s president Josu Urrutia adamant the Premier League side had to meet a USD 47.5 million buyout clause.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- IPL 9: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders – Probably playing XIs; players to watch out for
- Amazing! Village in China painted with 3D colours to attract tourists; See PICS
- Vital facts about Kangana Ranaut's leaked image suppressed: Hrithik Roshan's camp
- Sunita Williams, team to ensure safe cargo flights to ISS
- West Bengal polls: Bhawanipur to witness star-studded electoral battle