Athletic Bilbao`s Ander Herrera caught up in hoax `United` offer
London: Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera`s proposed USD 47.5 million (30.5 million pounds) move to Manchester United turned out to be a hoax after three men attempting to broker the deal were labelled imposters, British media reported on Monday.
"Reports in Spain claim three men dressed in black suits and claiming to be United "representatives" spent an hour at the La Liga offices attempting to negotiate a deal. The move collapsed at the 11th hour," the BBC reported on the final day of the transfer window on Monday.
"Confirmation from Manchester United that three men who reportedly attempted to negotiate a deal to sign Ander Herrera were not acting on behalf of the Premier League champions and were... imposters," the BBC report added.
The Basque club last week rejected an offer which Spanish newspapers reported at USD 40 million from United for the 24-year-old Herrera, with the club`s president Josu Urrutia adamant the Premier League side had to meet a USD 47.5 million buyout clause.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...