Atletico ease past Valladolid, go back top
Madrid: Atletico Madrid moved clear at the top of La Liga, for a few hours at least, as two goals inside the first four minutes guided them to a 3-0 win over Valladolid.
Raul Garcia opened the scoring from a well-worked free-kick after three minutes before Diego Costa lofted in his 25th goal of the season 60 seconds later.
And Diego Godin rounded off the scoring when he headed home the third 17 minutes from time.
Atletico now lead Barcelona and Real Madrid by three points, but Barca can reclaim top spot when they host Rayo Vallecano later on Saturday.
"The key was the intensity that the players started with. Going 2-0 ahead allowed us to relax and once it went 3-0 even more so," said Atletico boss Diego Simeone.
However, the Argentine continued to play down his side`s chances of fighting for the title.
"We continue to go minute by minute. We are happy to be top of the league until eight o`clock this evening, but there is still 14 games to go which is a lot."
After three consecutive defeats in league and Cup it was imperative for Simeone`s men to get back to winning ways if they were to maintain their title challenge and they couldn`t have made a better start.
Garcia fired home his 10th goal of the campaign from the edge of the area from Gabi`s free-kick, and Costa then doubled his side`s advantage as he raced onto Koke`s ball over the top and lobbed the ball over the advancing Diego Marino.
Atletico then eased off after their initial burst and Valladolid threatened to get back into the game at the start of the second half when Javi Guerra volleyed just over.
Mario Suarez nearly made the game safe when he saw his header come back off the bar from Koke`s corner.
However, Atletico did get a third goal from another corner 10 minutes later when Godin headed back across goal into the far corner to leave Marino stranded.
Simeone then had the luxury of replacing Koke and Arda Turan with one eye on their return to Champions League action away to AC Milan as David Villa made his return from injury, suggesting he may be fit to start at the San Siro on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi