Atletico fined after Ronaldo hit with lighter
Madrid: The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) on Friday fined Atletico Madrid 600 euros ($822) after Real Madrid`s Cristiano Ronaldo was struck on the head with a lighter during the clubs` Copa del Rey clash on Tuesday.
Ballon d`Or winner Ronaldo was hit by a lighter thrown from the crowd as he made his way off the field at half-time in the semi-final second leg clash, which Madrid won 2-0 to advance 5-0 on aggregate to a final against Barcelona.
Pro-Real media in the Spanish capital had called for serious action to be taken following the incident, but the RFEF said its "isolated nature" prevented them from handing down more than the small fine.
"As this was an isolated incident, in which the object that was used is not banned from sporting arenas and, fortunately, did not cause any damage or injury to the player who was struck, or interrupt the game, the incident merits a sanction to the host club of a 600-euro fine," said a statement released by the RFEF.
They added that the fine would have been just half that amount had Atletico identified the culprit.
Ronaldo had scored two early penalties at the Vicente Calderon to kill off the tie, leading to frustration among the home support.
He was able to continue, although he was eventually substituted quarter of an hour from the end of the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Goa Board 12th HSSC Result 2016: Goaresults.nic.in & Gbshse.gov.in GBSHSE Class 12th HSSC Result 2016 is likely to be declared on May 10, 2016
- Head of All World Gayatri Pariwar Pranav Pandya nominated to Rajya Sabha
- India received $48 billion in remittances in 9 months of last fiscal
- Rajya Sabha accepts Vijay Mallya's fresh resignation
- Swachh Bharat mission fails March 2016 urban-trash targets