Atletico fined after Ronaldo hit with lighter
Madrid: The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) on Friday fined Atletico Madrid 600 euros ($822) after Real Madrid`s Cristiano Ronaldo was struck on the head with a lighter during the clubs` Copa del Rey clash on Tuesday.
Ballon d`Or winner Ronaldo was hit by a lighter thrown from the crowd as he made his way off the field at half-time in the semi-final second leg clash, which Madrid won 2-0 to advance 5-0 on aggregate to a final against Barcelona.
Pro-Real media in the Spanish capital had called for serious action to be taken following the incident, but the RFEF said its "isolated nature" prevented them from handing down more than the small fine.
"As this was an isolated incident, in which the object that was used is not banned from sporting arenas and, fortunately, did not cause any damage or injury to the player who was struck, or interrupt the game, the incident merits a sanction to the host club of a 600-euro fine," said a statement released by the RFEF.
They added that the fine would have been just half that amount had Atletico identified the culprit.
Ronaldo had scored two early penalties at the Vicente Calderon to kill off the tie, leading to frustration among the home support.
He was able to continue, although he was eventually substituted quarter of an hour from the end of the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her