Atletico insists on need to change organisation of Spanish football
Madrid: Atletico Madrid`s Director General, Miguel Angel Gil has launched another attack on the organisation of the Spanish football league.
Atletico won the Europa League last season and defeated Chelsea 4-1 Friday to lift the European Supercup, thanks in part to a stunning hat-trick from Radomal Falcao, but Gil sees little hope for the future of his and the majority of Spanish clubs unless something is done to change the distribution of TV money, reports Xinhua.
Real Madrid and FC Barcelona currently earn over three times more than any other club in Spain from television money, something which goes a long way to explain why these two clubs have dominated La Liga.
Madrid last season finished with 30 points ahead of third place Valencia while Barca were five points behind the champions.
"In three years there will not be any great players left other than those and Madrid and Barca," Gil warned Wednesday.
"We have to change things so that the other 18 clubs in La Liga don`t just have to survive on crumbs, because with the arrival of owners from Qatar, Abu Dhabi or Russia, the 10 or 15 best players in the world will be able to continue asking for the wages they want. They will play in China, Paris Saint Germain or Manchester City," said Gil, who saw the organisation of the English Premier League as the idea to follow.
The Premier League has a more equal distribution of TV money with the clubs negotiating a collective deal rather than each team negotiating its own contract.
"The Premier League has created an image for its trademark and thanks to their international TV rights, the clubs share out three times more money than in Spain."
"I am convinced that this season Madrid and Barca will once again finish 30 points ahead of the team in third place," continued Gil, who also questioned the policy of mid-day kick off times in Spain, which are meant to help the Primera Liga tap into the Asian market.
"Has anyone told us how many people watch these games in China? And if they are aimed at opening up the market, how come Barca have never played at mid-day and Real Madrid have only done so a couple of times," he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt