Atletico Madrid get 1-0 win over Espanyol
Madrid: Atletico Madrid remain four points clear of Real Madrid in the second position after a 1-0 win at home to Espanyol in the 25th round of Spain`s Primera Liga football.
Radamel Falcao`s first half penalty marked the difference between the two sides here Sunday night.
Athletic had taken the lead in the last derby to be played in their San Mames stadium thanks to an Ibai Gomez volley, but with home keeper, Raul Fernandez looking nervous, Antoine Griezmann, Imanol Agirrretxe and Carlos Vela turned the result around.
Athletic can now consider themselves to be in a battle to avoid relegation and will be grateful Valencia fought back from two goals down to take a point from Zaragoza, who have still not won in 2013.
Zaragoza had led through Apono and Helder Postiga, but two goals from Jonas Goncalves gave Valencia a valuable point.
Celta Vigo gave Abel Resino a winning debut as coach thanks to goals from Iago Aspes and Mario Bermejo in a 2-1 win at home to Granada. Celta are still in the relegation zone, but have opened a gap over bottom pair, Deportivo and Mallorca.
Mallorca crashed to a 3-1 defeat at home to Getafe, who came back from a goal down with a Diego Castro penalty and two second half goals from Adrian Colunga.
Betis got their European ambitions back on track with a convincing 3-0 win over a tired looking Malaga, who perhaps paid for their European efforts in midweek. Jorge Molina opened the scoring in the first minute before Mario and Doblan Pabon wrapped up the scoring before the break.
Meanwhile, Valladolid took a surprise 2-1 win away to Rayo Vallecano in a match between two sides who look destined to finish in mid-table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach