Atletico Madrid suffer blow ahead of Spanish Super Cup clash against Real
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone will have plenty to dwell upon after midfielder Mario Suarez was hospitalised after picking up an injury during a friendly against Wolfsburg. Atletico play against Real Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup on Tuesday and injury to Suarez causes plenty of concerns given the scarcity resources Simeone has in his bag.
The Atletico Madrid midfielder was rushed to hospital after suffering a `traumatic brain injury` after colliding with a team-mate. The 28-year-old went up for a header with Cristian Ansaldi during the friendly win away at Wolfsburg but was knocked unconscious.
Suarez was taken off on a stretcher before making his way to hospital where they performed a CT brain scan. Atletico confirmed that the Spaniard has stayed in Germany under observation.
Ansaldi`s hip appeared to clatter into Suarez`s head and he was left motionless on the ground. Luckily he regained consciousness after that but the situation is critical. Suarez played five games in Diego Simeone`s side`s run to the Champions League final last season.
After several key players leaving the La Liga champions this summer, Atletico have managed to sign Mario Mandzukic and Antoine Griezmann amongst big-name signings. They need acquisitions in centre of the park and with Suarez`s injury the need has widened for Simeone.
Meanwhile, Mario Mandzukic scored during the team`s 5-1 rout of Wolfburg as they head into the new season on a winning note enough to please the Argentine boss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city