Atletico Mineiro hold Tijuana to 2-2 draw
Tijuana (Mexico): Second-half substitute Luan struck an injury-time equaliser to earn Atletico Mineiro a 2-2 draw against Tijuana in their Copa Libertadores quarterfinal first leg.
Colombian striker Duvier Riascos opened the scoring for the Mexican club at the Estadio Caliente after a slick one-two with compatriot Dayro Moreno in the 13th minute Thursday.
The home side then made it 2-0 early in the second half when Moreno`s shot was saved by goalkeeper Victor only for Fidel Martinez to knock in the rebound.
Atletico suffered a blow when Brazil international midfielder Bernard failed to reappear in the second half due to a thigh injury.
But Diego Tardelli reduced the deficit for the visitors when he struck from a Ronaldinho corner kick before Bernard`s replacement Luan slotted home in the 92nd minute after Tardelli`s deft through ball.
"It is a long way to travel here and it`s not easy playing on this synthetic surface but we managed to get a very important result," Ronaldinho said after the match.
The return fixture will be played at Atletico`s Independencia stadium in Belo Horizonte May 29.
In Thursday`s other quarterfinal, Newell`s Old Boys held Argentine rivals Boca Juniors to a 0-0 draw at the Bombonera in Buenos Aires.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason
- Two lakh ration cards cancelled in two months in Jharkhand
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit