Atletico Mineiro hold Tijuana to 2-2 draw
Tijuana (Mexico): Second-half substitute Luan struck an injury-time equaliser to earn Atletico Mineiro a 2-2 draw against Tijuana in their Copa Libertadores quarterfinal first leg.
Colombian striker Duvier Riascos opened the scoring for the Mexican club at the Estadio Caliente after a slick one-two with compatriot Dayro Moreno in the 13th minute Thursday.
The home side then made it 2-0 early in the second half when Moreno`s shot was saved by goalkeeper Victor only for Fidel Martinez to knock in the rebound.
Atletico suffered a blow when Brazil international midfielder Bernard failed to reappear in the second half due to a thigh injury.
But Diego Tardelli reduced the deficit for the visitors when he struck from a Ronaldinho corner kick before Bernard`s replacement Luan slotted home in the 92nd minute after Tardelli`s deft through ball.
"It is a long way to travel here and it`s not easy playing on this synthetic surface but we managed to get a very important result," Ronaldinho said after the match.
The return fixture will be played at Atletico`s Independencia stadium in Belo Horizonte May 29.
In Thursday`s other quarterfinal, Newell`s Old Boys held Argentine rivals Boca Juniors to a 0-0 draw at the Bombonera in Buenos Aires.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Space shuttle launch: PM Modi hails ISRO scientists
- Ariana Grande trips at Billboard Music Awards red carpet
- Yuvraj Singh returns to Indian Premier League playoffs after seven long years
- With 'Sairat', Marathi cinema flies high on BO, appreciation
- Barack Obama confirms death of Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour, says chance for peace