Atletico Mineiro win first Libertadores title
Belo Horizonte: Brazil`s Atletico Mineiro secured their first Copa Libertadores title with a pulsating 4-3 penalty-shootout victory over Paraguay`s Olimpia at the Mineirao stadium here.
Herminio Miranda and Matias Gimenez both missed spot-kicks for the visitors while Leonardo Silva, Jo, Guilherme and Alecsandro converted for Atletico after the scores were tied 2-2 at the end of extra time Wednesday, reports Xinhua.
Earlier, former Manchester City forward Jo and defender Silva both struck second-half goals to cancel out Olimpia`s 2-0 lead in the first leg.
Jo`s lunging 46th-minute shot came after Olimpia`s defence failed to clear a tame Rosinei cross.
Olimpia`s Julio Manzur was sent off in the 84th minute after a second yellow card for a tackle on Alecsandro.
The home side capitalised two minutes later when Silva met Bernard`s cross at the far post with a looping header.
"I`m numb," Atletico coach Cuca said after the match. "There is so much emotion because we have been under a lot of pressure.
"People have said that I`ve had bad luck in the past, that this club has bad luck. But we`ve now changed all of that."
Victor, who capped a fine performance by saving Olimpia`s first penalty shootout attempt from Miranda with his left boot, dedicated the victory to Atletico`s fans.
"I`m crying tears of joy," he said. "Now we have to celebrate and let the fans enjoy it. They deserve this more than anyone."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan