Attila Pinter appointed Hungary football coach
Budapest: Hungarian Attila Pinter, 47, was named head coach of the national team by the Hungarian Football Federation (HFF) Thursday.
The move came as a surprise to the sports world since the Federation had been negotiating with a number of coaches from other countries.
According to Hungarian News Agency MTI, HFF president Sandor Csanyi acknowledged that over ten foreign coaches had been interviewed for the job, but most of them were willing to commit to building the team quickly enough to qualify for 2016 European Championships. Qualification rounds begin in September.
The previous coach, Hungarian Sandor Egervari, had been with the team since 2010. He quit in October after several disastrous defeats, most notably an 1-8 loss to the Netherlands in a World Cup qualifier that effectively knocked Hungary out of the running.
Pinter, whose contract runs to 2016, has had remarkable success with several Hungarian club sides. He has coached First Division Sopron, Ferencvaros, Vasas and Gyor. With Ferencvaros he won the 2003-2004 national championship and the Super Cup.
In 2004 he won the Hungarian Cup with the same team. Coaching Sopron in 2005 he won the Hungarian Cup, beating his old team, Ferencvaros. Last year, coaching Gyor, he won the national league championships and the Super Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly