Australia end Saudi Arabia`s World Cup hopes
Melbourne: Australia scored three goals in three minutes in a second-half burst to beat Saudi Arabia 4-2 in Melbourne on Wednesday and dash the Middle Eastern country`s hopes of qualifying for the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil.
Saudi Arabia took a 2-1 lead deep into the match at AAMI stadium courtesy of first-half goals by midfielder Salem Aldawsari and striker Nassir Al Shamrani, but were deflated by a 73rd minute strike by Harry Kewell and then Alex Brosque and Brett Emerton scored in quick succession before the 76th minute.
Saudi Arabia had needed victory to guarantee their passage to the fourth round of Asian regional qualification with Oman winning their match 2-0 at home to Thailand on Wednesday.
Australia had already claimed one of the 10 places in the next round of qualifying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you