Bagan appeal may fall in deaf ears: Report
Kolkata: The Mariners appealed to the Indian FA after it was handed a two-season ban from the I-League after infractions during the Kolkata Derby...
In what is seen as more bad news for Mohun Bagan, the All India Football Federation (AIFF) is unsure whether the Executive Committee has the power to grant a reprieve to the Mariners after they were banned from participating in the I-League for two seasons after they were found guilty of violating I-League rules during the ill-tempered Kolkata Derby on December 9, 2012.
The Green and Maroon had drafted a letter of appeal to the AIFF asking them to reconsider the ban which resulted in the I-League Core Committee meeting, due to be held on January 9, 2013, to be postponed to a later date.
"We have received the letter of appeal from Bagan, which will be taken up in our next Executive Meeting," said a senior AIFF official to The Telegraph. "However, we don’t know whether the Executive Committee has the power to lift or reduce the suspension order imposed as per regulations," the official added.
The official indicated that Bagan could however be fined heavily for failing to turn up during the second half of the Kolkata Derby.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter