Bagan official rules out resignation
Kolkata: Terming the lifting of AIFF ban as a big success, Mohun Bagan finance secretary Debashis Dutta on Tuesday said they would not resign despite facing criticism for "inept" handling of the December 9 I-League derby against East Bengal.
There were speculations that the top officials might step down, but Dutta categorically said, "Have we done anything unethical that we would resign?"
In fact, Dutta said it was big victory for the foursome of club president Swapan Sadhan Bose, secretary Anjan Mitra, assistant secretary Srinjoy Bose and himself as they could put their point across to the AIFF.
"It`s a big success for the club since we were able to revoke the ban. We four had tried our best to resolve the crisis. It`s a big victory for us."
"Our primary aim was to bring football back to the players. We have been successful in that. We will discuss our next step later," he added.
In a press release, Mohun Bagan`s top officials also thanked the supporters for standing by the club.
"We take this opportunity to thank all our members, supporters, ex-players and present players and coaches and all our well-wishers, who stood by our club in overcoming this crisis."
Meanwhile, amid speculations that the top Mohun Bagan officials would step down tomorrow, executive committee member Atin Ghosh said he would put up his papers tomorrow.
"I`m going to quit tomorrow. The top officials should also step down taking moral responsibility.
"Let there be fresh faces in the clubs with priority to our former footballers who have achieved so much for the club," Ghosh said.
Mohun Bagan were a goal down against bitter foes East Bengal when a stone hurled from one of the stands -- apparently aimed at the referee -- hit midfielder Syed Rahim Nabi as the club officials withdrew the side, leading to a two-year ban.
But moved by the mass appeal, the AIFF on Tuesday revoked the ban while imposing a fine of Rs 2 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- 'Selfie' with Bulandshahr DM B Chandrakala lands 18-year-old in jail