Bagan vs Mohammedan match ends in 0-0 draw
Kolkata: Mohun Bagan and Mohammedan Sporting played out a goal-less draw in a Round 20 encounter of the I-League at the Salt Lake Stadium here on Saturday.
It was 0-0 back in November last as well in the first leg while two other clashes in other competitions this season had also ended all square. Today`s result takes Mohun Bagan`s points tally to 21 from 19 games while Mohammedan Sporting are on 17 with two matches less.
Mohun Bagan skipper Odafa Okolie was available again after returning from injury and was given the start by Karim Bencherifa. The Nigerian started brightly and also had the game`s first real effort but his glancing header narrowly missing the target.
Mohammedan Sporting came into this game on the back of an impressive win over title-chasing Sporting Clube de Goa but their play lacked intensity and the approach was cautious.
But Sanjoy Sen`s side could have taken the lead when Taro Hasegawa`s cross was nearly put into the back of his own net by Echezona Anyichie.
The green-and-maroon outfit showed more purpose going forward n the first half with Odafa dropping deep and playing some neat passes but he lacked support from his teammates.
Mohun Bagan had to make a change in goal at the start of the second period as Sandip Nandy replaced the injured Shilton Paul. Nandy was, however, not really tested by Mohammedan Sporting as they lacked ideas in the final third.
Both coaches made substitutions to increase the pace of the match and at the hour mark Mohun Bagan`s Christopher Chizoba had the game`s first meaningful shot on target with his effort well saved by Ashok Singh.
Minutes later Mohammedan substitute Ashim Biswas narrowly missed the target with a header.
As the game entered the final 20 minutes, both sides seemed content to play for one point as there were hardly any runs behind either defences. Each side also had a strong penalty claim but referee T Nagvenkar denied them both.
Mohammedan Sporting substitute Penn Orji had two decent opportunities towards the end but the Nigerian first volleyed wide and then could not hit the target despite being played clean through on goal by Josimar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed