Ballon d’Or is not everything, says Cristiano Ronaldo
Madrid: Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo has said that he will not be disheartened if he is not awarded the Ballon d’Or.
The prize for the world’s best player will be announced in January, with Ronaldo and Barcelona’s Lionel Messi the strong favourites for the title.
However, Ronaldo has stressed that although he would like to win the award, it is team trophies that he views as more important than individual accolades.
“Obviously I would like to win, I will not be a hypocrite and a liar, it is something that I aspire to, but I cannot think, if I fail, it is the end,” he told the Portuguese Football Federation`s official website.
“I can live without an individual award, even if it would be unfair. The career of a footballer is not marked by individual trophies, but by the collective.”
The Portugal international also admitted that he feels more emotionally involved when playing for his country, as opposed to lining up alongside his Madrid team-mates.
“It is one thing playing for your club and another with the national team, they are totally different feelings," he added.
"It is true that the passion to win and compete is similar, but there is more emotional involvement when we do it for our country.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi