Balotelli doubtful for Barcelona, says Galliani
Milan: Mario Balotelli is set to miss AC Milan`s Champions League Group H clash at home to Barcelona on Tuesday, according to club vice-president Adriano Galliani.
Milan had hoped Balotelli would return from a three-game league ban against Udinese on Saturday.
But after playing in Italy`s final World Cup qualifier against Armenia last week the 23-year-old striker was diagnosed with a thigh problem.
Balotelli was absent for Milan`s precious 1-0 win at home to Udinese and although expected to recover in time for Tuesday Galliani suggested the striker could again be sidelined when Barca visit the San Siro.
Goalkeeper Christian Abbiati, who picked up a knock hours before Saturday`s game, is also likely to be missing.
"According to our medical staff, it will be difficult for Balotelli and Abbiati to be ready in time for Tuesday," Galliani was quoted as saying by Sky Sport Italia.
It means Milan will be without arguably their strongest player against the Spanish giants. Although Balotelli failed to score in a 2-0 home win over Celtic, the Italian won and scored a late penalty to secure a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw away to Ajax.
Although Brazilian `keeper Gabriel made his Serie A debut for Milan following Abbiati`s late pull-out, he was not included in Milan`s list of Champions League players as he was sidelined with injury at the time.
It means Marco Amelia is set to step in for Abbiati on Tuesday when Barca, who on Saturday settled for a scoreless draw away to Osasuna, failing to score a league goal for the first time since January 2012, will be looking for their third group win on the trot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened