Balotelli in Confederations Cup injury scare
Rio de Janeiro: Mario Balotelli could miss Italy`s opening match of the Confederations Cup against Mexico Sunday after suffering a thigh injury while training.
Italy team doctor Enrico Castellacci said medical staff would carefully monitor the 22-year-old Saturday before making a decision on his fitness.
"He felt pain and was taken off. I think he will be able to play but we can`t make any guarantees because the players have not had a break after a long and arduous season," Castellacci said.
Balotelli`s absence would leave Azzurri coach Cesare Prandelli needing to decide between Stephan El Shaarawy, Alberto Gilardino and Sebastian Giovincoand Alessio Cerci as the AC Milan striker`s replacement.
"Mario is our principal striker and is feared by our rivals but we also have other forwards who are able to contribute," Italy defender Andrea Barzagli said.
Both Italy and Mexico will train at the Maracana Stadium Saturday. Organisers said Sunday`s match had already sold more than 60,000 tickets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state