Balotelli’s Confederations Cup over
Brazil: Mario Balotelli will miss the remainder of the Confederations Cup with Italy after sustaining a thigh injury.
It was already announced the striker would be unavailable for the semi-final against Spain, but after monitoring the injury on Monday, Balotelli is being sent home to recover.
The Milan striker suffered the setback in Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Brazil, and according to team doctor Enrico Castellacci, it was serious enough to cut his tournament short.
“Balotelli can not even get to the final,” he told reporters.
“Milan will now take care of him.”
The news comes as a big blow to the Italians who were using Balotelli as their lone striker throughout the group stage.
Bologna’s Alberto Gilardino is the only other main forward on the team while wingers Stephan El Shaarawy and Sebastian Giovinco are also available.
Coach Cesare Prandelli laments the loss, but knows they have to move forward and remain focused if they hope to take out the defending world and European champions Spain.
“We are very sorry for the loss of Balotelli but there was no time for his recovery,” he told reporters.
“There was no pressure from the Rossoneri [to keep him out and prevent further injury].”
Italy play Spain on Thursday and the last time the two sides met la Roja won 4-0 to lift the Euro 2012 trophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details