Barca coach Martino delighted with Messi
Madrid: FC Barcelona coach Tata Martino insisted Monday that Leo Messi is not suffering from any physical problems despite his surprisingly downbeat performance in Saturday evening`s 2-1 win over Real Madrid.
Messi, who was only making his third appearance after missing three weeks with a thigh injury, looked below his best and lacked the confidence in sprints against Barca`s traditional rivals.
That had prompted comments that the little Argentinean is not in good physical condition, but Martino rejected the assumption.
"The worries about Messi come from outside of the club and not from inside. I am not worried if he scores or fails to score goals, because what he gives the team is always vitally important," he commented, before explaining why he had made Messi play on the wing against Madrid.
"We spoke to him at the start of the season and I commented that it was good to be able to use him in different places as we think he can unbalance things more from there. There are times when we will use him as a striker, or in a deep role, but we want to have him at his best so we can use him where he is needed," said Martino.
The coach has decided to rest defender Gerard Pique ahead of Tuesday`s game against Celta Vigo, explaining "we thought in the rotations that it was better if Gerard didn`t play".
As expected, Martino was asked about the Clasico and gave his version of events in a match in which both sides saw refereeing decisions going against them, with Madrid claiming a penalty for a push on Cristiano Ronaldo, while Barca believed Madrid`s Sergio Ramos should have been sent off, while asking for their own penalty after an apparent foul on Cesc Fabrigas by Pepe.
"There probably was a refereeing error, but they also played the game and you have to think about that. Barca were better in the first half, Madrid were better in the first 25 minutes of the second half and then it was pretty even," he said, warning of the danger that after being their historic rivals, Barca could take their eye off the ball in Vigo.
"There is always that risk after playing a Clasico, but there is no place to start feeling comfortable," commented Martino, who assured he was "delighted" with the current situation of his team which have taken 28 points from a possible 30 at the start of the season.
Finally Martino insisted Barca were favourites to win the title.
"We were favourites when we beat Levante in the first game of the season, also after the fifth and the tenth games. We are favourites in whatever we play because that is what our category and history dictate," he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly
- Cbseresults.nic.in working now, check your CBSE Class 10 Board Results 2015