Barca defender Abidal to have liver transplant
Madrid: Barcelona defender Eric Abidal is to have a liver transplant, the Spanish and European champions said on Thursday.
The France international, a cult figure among fans of the Catalan club, had surgery to remove a tumour from the organ last March before making a triumphant return to lift the Champions League trophy at Wembley just two months later.
"Over the coming weeks, the player (Abidal) will undergo a liver transplant," Barca said in a statement on their website.
"The transplant was an option already mentioned since the start of his treatment a year ago," the statement added.
The club did not say how long the 32-year-old would be out of action but his chances of returning before the end of the season and representing France at Euro 2012 starting in June must be in serious doubt.
Abidal`s Barca team mates rallied behind him following the announcement, with striker David Villa, himself sidelined with a broken leg, saying they needed him back in the team as soon as possible.
"All my strength for Abidal!" Villa wrote on his Twitter feed. "You will get through it. You are very strong. We will all be by your side," he added.
Central defender Gerard Pique wrote on his feed: "You will return and you will do it like always, being the best! You are an example for everyone."
Barca are losing Abidal at a critical time in the season, with the Champions League holders through to the quarter-finals of Europe`s elite club competition and bidding to close a 10-point gap with Real Madrid in La Liga.
They are also will face Athletic Bilbao in May`s King`s Cup final.
Abidal is likely to be replaced in Barcelona`s lineup by Adriano and captain Carles Puyol is also able to fill in at left back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family