Barca defender to make Mallorca loan move
Madrid: FC Barcelona confirmed Monday that central defender Andreu Fontas will join Spanish Primera Liga football side Mallorca on loan for the rest of the season.
Fontas underwent a medical in Mallorca Monday prior to signing the deal. The 22-year-old will provide cover for a number of long-term injuries to players in Mallorca, reports Xinhua.
Mallorca sold one of their key defenders, Ivan Ramis, to Barclays Premier League side Wigan Athletic over the summer, and Coach Joaquin Caparrros also has to cope with the injuries of Jose Nunes, Antonio Lopez, Javi Marquez and Joao Victor who all suffered long term knee injuries.
The fact that some of those injuries could leave the players sidelined for the entire season means the club has been given permission to make further signings even though the transfer window is officially closed.
The move represents a chance for Fontas, who was promoted to the Barcelona first team last season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister