Barca keeper Pinto gets CL ban after tricks fool striker
Madrid: Confusing an FC Copenhagen player into believing he was offside when clear through on goal earned Barcelona`s Jose Manuel Pinto a two-match Champions League ban from UEFA on Friday.
The Danish club had made a formal complaint to European soccer`s governing body over the incident which occurred in the 26th minute of their 2-0 defeat at the Nou Camp on Oct. 20.
Copenhagen`s Brazilian striker Cesar Santin had the chance to break clear, with the score 1-0 to Barca at the time, but gave up chasing the ball believing he was offside.
In video replays, it is possible to see reserve goalkeeper Pinto waving his arm to indicate the move has been ruled out, and after he has cleared the ball, grinning towards the bench and pointing at himself.
Santin later accused Pinto of simulating the referee`s whistle to put him off.
The Spanish champions said in a statement they would appeal the decision, but are likely to have first-choice keeper Victor Valdes back for their next outing in any case.
Pinto, 34, was making his Champions League debut for Barca after Valdes dropped out of the squad with an illness earlier in the day of the Copenhagen game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried