Barca under scrutiny after season`s first defeat
Madrid: FC Barcelona woke up to a day of soul searching Wednesday following the club`s first defeat of the season to Ajax in Champions League Tuesday night.
Barcelona were beaten 1-2 away to Ajax and although the side were missing key players Lionel Messi, Victor Valdes, Dani Alves, Jordi Alba, Adriano and Sergio Busquets, it was not an excuse for a performance which saw them fall 0-2 down in the first half and then fail to get back on level terms when their rivals were reduced to 10 men early in the second half, reports Xinhua.
Barca`s traditional passing game once again let them down and while on other occasions their effectiveness in front of the goal has dug them out of trouble, this time it didn`t.
Speaking after the game, central defender Gerard Pique, one of the few players to give a decent performance was highly critical of the display.
"It was the worst first half of the season. We were horrible and there is no excuse," said Pique, adding that "in the second half, with an extra player, we didn`t know how to create chances. There are no excuses and we have to improve and reflect because Barcelona can`t give that image."
Coach Tata Martino was less critical after suffering his first defeat as Barca coach but was clearly unhappy with some aspects of the defeat.
"We lost the individual battle because we didn`t pressure as a team, we lacked the intensity in a Champions League game against a team that is battling to qualify," he said.
Martino was clearly unhappy with the first half display in which Barcelona appeared to lack effort and cohesion.
"You can`t play just 45 minutes in a game, because if you do that in the last 16 or the quarterfinals or the semifinals, it can see you knocked out," he said.
One factor of Martino`s reign at Barcelona is that his side has been more willing to surrender possession of the ball to their opponents. This has been criticised as a "betrayal of style" by fans of former coach, Pep Guardiola.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...