Barca under scrutiny after season`s first defeat
Madrid: FC Barcelona woke up to a day of soul searching Wednesday following the club`s first defeat of the season to Ajax in Champions League Tuesday night.
Barcelona were beaten 1-2 away to Ajax and although the side were missing key players Lionel Messi, Victor Valdes, Dani Alves, Jordi Alba, Adriano and Sergio Busquets, it was not an excuse for a performance which saw them fall 0-2 down in the first half and then fail to get back on level terms when their rivals were reduced to 10 men early in the second half, reports Xinhua.
Barca`s traditional passing game once again let them down and while on other occasions their effectiveness in front of the goal has dug them out of trouble, this time it didn`t.
Speaking after the game, central defender Gerard Pique, one of the few players to give a decent performance was highly critical of the display.
"It was the worst first half of the season. We were horrible and there is no excuse," said Pique, adding that "in the second half, with an extra player, we didn`t know how to create chances. There are no excuses and we have to improve and reflect because Barcelona can`t give that image."
Coach Tata Martino was less critical after suffering his first defeat as Barca coach but was clearly unhappy with some aspects of the defeat.
"We lost the individual battle because we didn`t pressure as a team, we lacked the intensity in a Champions League game against a team that is battling to qualify," he said.
Martino was clearly unhappy with the first half display in which Barcelona appeared to lack effort and cohesion.
"You can`t play just 45 minutes in a game, because if you do that in the last 16 or the quarterfinals or the semifinals, it can see you knocked out," he said.
One factor of Martino`s reign at Barcelona is that his side has been more willing to surrender possession of the ball to their opponents. This has been criticised as a "betrayal of style" by fans of former coach, Pep Guardiola.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan