Barcelona agree deal with Atletico Madrid for David Villa
Madrid: Barcelona have confirmed they have reached an agreement with Atletico Madrid over the transfer of forward David Villa.
The Spain international will move to the Vicente Calderon, subject to the agreement of personal terms and passing of a medical, in a deal worth an estimated €5.1 million, with €3m being paid if Villa remains an Atletico player during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 campaigns.
The Catalan giants will also retain 50% from any future transfer involving the former Valencia striker.
Tottenham had emerged as the front runners to sign the 31-year-old attacker, with Goal exclusively revealing last month that Villa had given the green light over a move to White Hart Lane.
Atletico appear to have gazumped Spurs and won the race for his signature, however, as they search for a replacement for Radamel Falcao, who sealed a big-money move to Monaco back in May.
The Madrid club, who finished third in La Liga last season, had been in the hunt for Sevilla striker Alvaro Negredo although Manchester City now appear favourites to sign the 27-year-old Spaniard, with top target Edinson Cavani expected to join Paris Saint-Germain.
Villa joined Barca in 2010 from fellow La Liga side Valencia and has scored 48 goals in 119 appearances across all competitions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing