Barcelona appoint Martino as Vilanova's successor
Barcelona: Barcelona have confirmed on their official website that they have appointed Gerardo Martino as the club`s new head coach on a two-year deal.
The Camp Nou side were rocked by the departure of Tito Vilanova last week after he resigned from his position as a result of his need to undergo further treatment in his recovery from a cancer relapse.
A number of names, including Celta Vigo boss Luis Enrique, had since been linked with the vacant post, but the former Newell`s Old Boys boss emerged the stand-out candidate after he was given vocal backing from Lionel Messi.
"Barcelona have reached an agreement to sign Gerardo Martino as the new first team coach for the next two seasons," a Barca statement reads.
"The agreement is still pending the drafting and signing of his contract. The schedule for his trip to Barcelona, signature of his contract and official presentation will be announced in the next few hours."
Martino, 50, has never coached in Europe, but was named South American Coach of the Year in 2007 for his work with the Paraguay national team, before winning the league title with Newell`s last season and reaching the semi-finals of the Copa Libertadores.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks