Barcelona are ready for Champions League, says Lionel Messi
Barcelona: Lionel Messi has reflected on Barcelona`s failed Champions League and La Liga bids last season, but believes his side can still be proud of their efforts.
La Blaugrana won four trophies but missed out on the two biggest ones, letting their domestic title to slip to arch-rivals Real Madrid, and being eliminated by Chelsea in Europe in the semi-finals.
However, the 25-year-old is certain that his side can still class their previous campaign as a success as they gear up for another Continental campaign.
"We were lucky enough to win the Supercopa, Club World Cup, the Copa del Rey," the Argentina international told Uefa.com. "These are all important competitions."
"Obviously we didn`t win the Champions League and La Liga, like people expected us to do and as we have done in the past."
"In the Champions League we were very close. The elimination against Chelsea was a very close one and I missed that penalty against them."
"But this year we are ready to try again, we are ready to try [to win the Champions League]. I don`t think there are easy groups in the Champions League, I think the opponents are all complicated."
"It seems like some groups are more complicated than others, but it`s all decided on the pitch. You have to play the matches first."
"We know from experience that every team can make it complicated for you. They are difficult games."
Barcelona begin their quest to recapture the Champions League title when they face Spartak Moscow on September 19 at Camp Nou.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'