Barcelona buy defender Jeremy Mathieu for EUR20 million
Barcelona: Spanish giants Barcelona said Wednesday they have bought 30-year-old French defender Jeremy Mathieu from Valencia for EUR20 million ($27 million).
Barcelona have been seeking to bolster their defence since Carlos Puyol ended his career.
Though he is not an established French international, Mathieu is recognised as a powerful operator at left back and in central defence. Barcelona called him a "physically imposing defender".
The Catalan club had made several offers to Valencia for Mathieu who last week issued a public letter calling on the side to negotiate his release.
"I have a chance to play for the world`s biggest club and that`s all I want right now," he said.
Barcelona said in a statement it had reached agreement on a transfer and Mathieu would sign a four season contract.
"The cost of the transfer is EUR20 million and the buyout clause will be EUR50 million," it said.
Mathieu played at Sochaux and Toulouse in the French first division until he joined Valencia in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch