Barcelona buy defender Jeremy Mathieu for EUR20 million
Barcelona: Spanish giants Barcelona said Wednesday they have bought 30-year-old French defender Jeremy Mathieu from Valencia for EUR20 million ($27 million).
Barcelona have been seeking to bolster their defence since Carlos Puyol ended his career.
Though he is not an established French international, Mathieu is recognised as a powerful operator at left back and in central defence. Barcelona called him a "physically imposing defender".
The Catalan club had made several offers to Valencia for Mathieu who last week issued a public letter calling on the side to negotiate his release.
"I have a chance to play for the world`s biggest club and that`s all I want right now," he said.
Barcelona said in a statement it had reached agreement on a transfer and Mathieu would sign a four season contract.
"The cost of the transfer is EUR20 million and the buyout clause will be EUR50 million," it said.
Mathieu played at Sochaux and Toulouse in the French first division until he joined Valencia in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok