Barcelona buy defender Jeremy Mathieu for EUR20 million
Barcelona: Spanish giants Barcelona said Wednesday they have bought 30-year-old French defender Jeremy Mathieu from Valencia for EUR20 million ($27 million).
Barcelona have been seeking to bolster their defence since Carlos Puyol ended his career.
Though he is not an established French international, Mathieu is recognised as a powerful operator at left back and in central defence. Barcelona called him a "physically imposing defender".
The Catalan club had made several offers to Valencia for Mathieu who last week issued a public letter calling on the side to negotiate his release.
"I have a chance to play for the world`s biggest club and that`s all I want right now," he said.
Barcelona said in a statement it had reached agreement on a transfer and Mathieu would sign a four season contract.
"The cost of the transfer is EUR20 million and the buyout clause will be EUR50 million," it said.
Mathieu played at Sochaux and Toulouse in the French first division until he joined Valencia in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened