Barcelona fans vote for redevelopment of Camp Nou
Madrid: FC Barcelona supporters Saturday voted in favour of the remodelling of their World famous Camp Nou Stadium to increase its capacity to 105,000.
The vote saw 118,000 club members given the option to vote `yes` or `no` on the proposal to remodel the stadium over a four-year period between 2017-2012, which will cost around 600 million euros, Xinhua reported.
The polling booths outside the Camp Nou stadium opened at 9 a.m. and were open for 12 hours, closing at 9 p.m., an hour after Barca`s 3-1 victory at home to Betis.
A total of 37,535 fans took the opportunity to cast their vote (31.65 percent of those electorate and of those 37,535, 27,161 (72.36 percent) cast their vote in favour of the development of the ground, with 9,589 (25,55 percent) voting against the plan, while 751 blank votes were cast.
The fans also gave their support to the possibility that the Camp Nou could also carry the name of a sponsor, opening the possibility to the club selling those rights for an estimated extra 150 million euros.
"In 2012 the Camp Nou will be our pride," said Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu.
"It would be a step forward in the excellence of our club. On days like this people all around the world see what our club stands for," said Bartomeu, who has had a difficult week following FIFA`s announcement that the club will not be able to make any signings until June 2015 as punishment for breaking rules regarding the signing of under-age players.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS