Barcelona forced to wait for fourth La Liga title after Bilbao draw
Barcelona: Spanish giants Barcelona will have to wait for a while to clinch a fourth La Liga title in five seasons following their 2-2 draw against Athletic Bilbao on Saturday.
The Catalans needed to win their match and hope that arch rivals Real Madrid lost their derby game against Atletico Madrid to guarantee the title, but neither result transpired as Real beat their city rivals 2-1 to reduce the arrears to 11 points.
Coupled with a Champions League defeat at the hands of Bayern Munich in midweek, Barcelona had a further shock when Bilbao took the lead in the 27th minute when Markel Susaeta scored from close range, although forward Lionel Messi steered his club back into the match in the 67th minute.
Atletico remain in third, 13 points ahead of fourth-place Real Sociedad who can close the gap if they beat Valencia on Sunday, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Is Sophie Choudry secretly engaged? Here's the truth
- 'Consumers likely to feel pinch as coal freight hike may force companies to shift burden'
- PM Narendra Modi lauds Indian daughters' endeavours in Rio; demands all-round focus in sports
- Major Dhyan Chand example of sportsman spirit, patriotism: PM Modi pays tribute to the hockey legend
- Two criminals arrested; stolen motorcycle, arms recovered