Barcelona look to clinch La Liga title over weekend
Madrid: Barcelona would like to forget the horrendous Champions League semifinal against Bayern Munich and would want to crown themselves the La Liga champions for the 22nd time this weekend.
Tito Vilanova`s side had an aggregate 0-7 loss against the German Club but back home they are looking to end the wait to becoming the league champions. They hope to beat Real Betis at home but if they have to be officially declared champions their main rivals Real Madrid will have to drop points to Real Valladolid.
The home record of the two top Spanish clubs shows that they have not been beaten at home this season. If Real also win their match, then Barcelona will have to wait till next weekend to be called champions officially.
In the battle for relegation, Celta Vigo take on Athletic Bilbao in a game that could have far reaching consequences for both. Paco Herrera`s Celta move up from the dangerous bottom three if they win while Marcelo Bielsa`s men will virtually make sure of their place in the top flight with a win.
Osasuna and Granada are also in danger zone and both face tough opponents, teams chasing a place in European competition.
Granada hosts UEFA Champions League quarterfinalists Malaga while Basque outfit Osasuna travel to Valencia hoping to improve their disappointing away record against a side that have only lost three times at the Mestalla this season.
Deportivo La Coruna have improved their chances of survival, following their six-game unbeaten run under Fernando Vasquez, the club`s third manager this season. That run will be severely tested Saturday as they take on third-placed Atletico Madrid.
Mallorca can move off the bottom with a win over Levante despite losing to Real Zaragoza last weekend while Sevilla take on Espanyol in a fight between two mid-table teams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray