Barcelona officially sign Jordi Alba
Barcelona have completed the transfer of Jordi Alba from Valencia for a fee of €14 million.
The Catalans confirmed on their official website on Thursday that the left-back has signed a contract until the summer of 2017.
The Blaugrana had reached an agreement with Los Che over a transfer fee at the end of June, and the Spain international has now signed his contract upon successful completion of a medical.
Jordi Alba, who was unveiled to fans on the Camp Nou pitch earlier on Thursday, spoke of his delight at returning to the club at a press conference.
"I`m very happy to come back home to my family and my people," the left-back, who was released from La Masia in 2005, told reporters. "And thanks to the fans who came to the stadium. I did not expect so many people to come. I`d like to thank all those who made it possible to return home."
Barca vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu also spoke of his delight at the completion of the transfer, and revealed that director of football Andoni Zubizarreta had been keeping tabs on the 23-year-old for some time.
"We`re very excited. We all know about him - he went out to make a career, and is coming home now. We have a long history here," Bartomeu said.
"It was a goal the club had sought for a long time. Zubi told us about his interest in Alba more than a year ago."
The Euro 2012 winner, who has a €90m buy-out clause in his deal, came through the ranks in Catalunya, before being let go and eventually breaking into the first team at Mestalla.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands