Barcelona orders investigation after admitting $4 million spend on ``espionage``
Washington: Spanish giants Barcelona has confirmed around four million dollars were spent on espionage between 2008-2010, and the Catalan club would also internally investigate claims that the club had commissioned detective agencies to spy on a number of their star players.
The money went to the now defunct Metodo 3 agency and another company called the Intelligence Bureau and Cyber Experience, reports.
Barcelona said that legal action would be taken to preserve the image of the club, the privacy of its employees and the legacy of the institution.
Spokesman Toni Freixa added Barcelona wants to know who was spied on and why The alleged activities took place under the presidency of Joan Laporta, who was at the helm from 2003-2010, one of the most successful spells for the famous Spanish club, the paper said.
Reports on a Spanish website El Confidencial, claimed Metodo 3 trailed defender Gerard Pique and his pop star wife Shakira in 2010 following them to a concert to log their activities, the paper added.
Former stars Samuel Eto``o and Brazil``s Ronaldinho were also believed to have been monitored in the past, the paper reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH