Barcelona pay 13.5 million euros in Neymar tax fraud case
MADRID: Barcelona have paid 13.5 million euros to the Spanish authorities after they were charged last week with tax fraud in the signing of Brazil forward Neymar, the club said on Monday.
The Spanish champions insisted they had not committed any tax offence and said the payment had been made due to a "possible difference of interpretation" about the amount they owed after signing Neymar from Santos in the close season.
The exact amount paid on Monday was 13,550,830.56 euros, Barca said in a statement on their website (www.fcbarcelona.es).
"The aim is to cover eventual interpretations that could be given to the contracts drawn up in the operation to sign Neymar," they said.
It was not immediately clear whether the payment would mean the fraud charges laid by a Madrid court would be dropped.
Barcelona were forced on the defensive over the Neymar deal after a club member filed a complaint against President Sandro Rosell alleging misappropriation of funds.
Rosell, who denied wrongdoing, stepped down saying he wanted to clear his name and protect the club`s image. But when details of Neymar`s signing came to light the judge overseeing the case granted the prosecutor`s request to lay charges for tax fraud.
After Rosell`s exit, Barca admitted he had cost 86.2 million euros, including payments to the player and his family, and not 57.1 million as they originally said.
The judge has requested Barca`s tax records relating to the deal and had asked the tax authority to calculate the scale of the alleged fraud.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow