Barcelona`s Alves to miss cup final with broken collar-bone
Madrid: FC Barcelona`s Brazilian full back Dani Alves will miss the final of the Copa del Rey against Athletic Bilbao after suffering a shoulder injury.
The club issued an official communique confirming that Alves had fractured the right side of his collarbone during his side`s Wednesday training session.
The injury completes a miserable end to the campaign for Alves, who was sent off in his side`s last league game of the season, which ended in a 2-2 draw away to Betis last Saturday night.
Alves will need an operation and will not recover in time for the final when Barca play Athletic Club Bilbao May 25th in the Vicente Calderon Stadium, reported Xinhua.
Alves` injury sees him join Carlos Puyol, who underwent an operation on his right knee Saturday, and left back Eric Adibal, who has just left hospital following a kidney transplant, on the injury list.
Meanwhile young central defender Andreu Fontas has been out for several months after damaging knee ligaments, while striker David Villa is doubtful as he works to recover from a broken leg he suffered while playing in the World Club Championships in December.
Young full back Martin Montoya, who has played several games in the run in to then end of the season, will replace Alves in the Cup final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report