Barcelona`s Xavi named best playmaker in the world
Madrid: Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernandez was Tuesday named as the best playmaker in the world by the International Federation for Football History and Statistics (IFFHS).
It is the fourth time that the Spanish international has been given the award, which is chosen by experts and journalists from 81 different countries and regions.
Xavi beat competition from his team-mates Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta and also from Real Madrid`s German midfielder, Mesut Ozil to win the award, Xinhua reported.
The midfielder was instrumental last season in helping Barcelona win the Spanish Primera Liga and Champions League, while this season Barcelona have added the Spanish and European Supercups as well as the Club World Club Championship to their list of trophies.
The Spanish Primera Liga had the most representatives in the top-16 creative players named by the IFFHS, with seven of them playing in Spain, while three play in England, three in Italy, three in Germany and one in France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what