Barcelona`s Xavi named best playmaker in the world
Madrid: Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernandez was Tuesday named as the best playmaker in the world by the International Federation for Football History and Statistics (IFFHS).
It is the fourth time that the Spanish international has been given the award, which is chosen by experts and journalists from 81 different countries and regions.
Xavi beat competition from his team-mates Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta and also from Real Madrid`s German midfielder, Mesut Ozil to win the award, Xinhua reported.
The midfielder was instrumental last season in helping Barcelona win the Spanish Primera Liga and Champions League, while this season Barcelona have added the Spanish and European Supercups as well as the Club World Club Championship to their list of trophies.
The Spanish Primera Liga had the most representatives in the top-16 creative players named by the IFFHS, with seven of them playing in Spain, while three play in England, three in Italy, three in Germany and one in France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster